What is the fascination with 'spins'

Alfredo Ferrari list at pceet030.cern.ch
Mon Feb 5 21:20:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Steven Haigh wrote:

> Quoting Jim Cornette <fct-cornette at insight.rr.com>:
>
>> monty19@ hotmail.com wrote:
>>> OK, here goes.  I'll probably have to duck and run for my life  after
>>> this, although it's not my intention to upset anyone by any  means.
>>>
>>> Personally, I think having separate ISO images for Desktop,  Developer,
>>> Server, KDE, and whatever else is a pretty silly idea.
>>
>> Agreed, especially if one uses programs from all categories.
>>

> I also agree here. I love having one DVD to do it all. After all, when the
> base install is on the system, it's pretty much a matter of using yum to
> install what else you need anyhow....
>
> I think the whole point of spins are to make things easier for newbies - a
> default install if you will that has the most common apps. This being said, I
> would like to see a 'newbie' CD and a single DVD instead of a multitude of
> other options.
>
> I install on 2 machines... One that does pretty much everything internet, and
> another one for testing, asterisk, streaming DVB via multicast and whatever
> else catches my fancy. It's great being able to do that from a single DVD.

+1

I install some 10+ different machines and none of them can be easily
defined as a desktop/server etc. I typically use packages from all
categories, having one DVD is muuuch better.

                    Alfredo

|  Alfredo Ferrari                         ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119         |
|  C.E.R.N.                                ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555         |
|  European Laboratory for Particle Physics||                                |
|  AB Division / ATB Group                 ||  e-mail:                       |
|  1211 Geneva 23                          ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at cern.ch    |
|  Switzerland                             ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at mi.infn.it |