emacs 22

Leif Hedstrom leif+lists.developers.fedora at ogre.com
Thu Feb 8 18:53:07 UTC 2007

Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Interesting...today's update brought in the emacs 22 pretest snapshot.
> This is OK with me - I've been building my own version for a little bit
> now.  But I do find it curious, given that emacs 22 final before the
> Fedora 7 release seems, um, unlikely.  There are certain things in
> emacs 22 (gnus being the main example) which do not go back to version
> 21 in any sort of graceful way.  Does anybody know why this went in now?

Hmmm, I'm having all sorts of problems with this version.  :) For
starters, if I try to resize the Emacs window, it hangs my X11 server,
and it has to be restarted. This doesn't happen with any other windows,
just Emacs.

There's also a lot of minor things that's not working, like "space" is
no longer (by default) bound to do autocompletion in Find-File (I know,
I can turn that on). But what's more annoying is that none of my "local
variables" comments I have at the end of source files to configure Mode
settings (like, C-mode) works. This is actually a "show stopper" for me,
anyone know why this isn't working, and how I can get get it functional
again?

I'd actually prefer to downgrade to Emacs v21 at this point, is there an
easy way to do that with yum?

Cheers,

-- Leif