ERROR: Could not find Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Sun Jan 21 17:27:08 UTC 2007

Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> I thought that the purpose of modprobe.conf is to get the device going
> early on.

I don't believe the modules in modprobe.conf are automatically loaded.
Rather from the man page, it is "a method  of  specifying  what options
  are to be used with those modules."

> Also, I have used system-config-network to setup eth1 to startup at boot
> time.
> My "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1" reflects this as well.

If you use NetworkManeger, turn off starting the wired network at
boot time.  On my laptopn there is no fle named
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/fcfg-eth1

Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
 > I have never used network manager.  The NetworkManager and
 > NetworkManagerDispatcher services are turned off by default.
 >
 > Should I turn these services on?  What benefit do we get?

In addition to automatic switching between wired and wireless
(as dragoran mentioned), you also get faster booting, especially
when the Ethernet isn't plugged in, assuming you turn off starting
the Ethernet at boot time: one less thing to time out ...
--
	--Per Bothner