Wierd Anaconda

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jun 3 21:25:06 UTC 2007

James C. Bevier <jim <at> jbsys.com> writes:
> I am doing an upgrade from FC6 to FC7

Why are you posting this to fedora-test-list? F7 is no longer in testing, it
has already been released. So the fedora-list would be a better place to post
this to.

> sdc and rebooted.  There I find the system now has the PATAs at sda & sdb,
> and SATAs at sdc & sdd.  Why does Anaconda see the drives backward of
> everybody else?

I've also noticed this. I have 3 PATA hard disk drives: 2 on my primary PATA
controller, the secondary one is taken up by DVD drives, and the third HDD is
on a Promise SATA/PATA RAID controller (which is in non-RAID PATA mode). They
get detected as:
FC6: primary PATA controller: hda and hdb, Promise SATA/PATA controller: sda
(Yes, we PATA-on-sata_promise users have essentially been beta-testing
libata-for-PATA for everyone. ;-) )
F7 Anaconda: primary: sdb and sdc, Promise: sda
F7 once installed: primary: sda and sdb, Promise: sdc

I don't know why Anaconda sees the controllers in a different order than the
releases system.

I also just noticed that I also ended up with an
incorrect /boot/grub/device.map because of this (you probably too, please
check), which is probably worth filing a bug about. But it most likely won't be
fixed before F8.

        Kevin Kofler