Semi-OT: Nvidia Binary performance under load

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 19:03:57 UTC 2007

On 6/26/07, Brian C. Huffman <bhuffman at graze.net> wrote:

> dragoran wrote:
> >
> > try coping the attached script to /usr/local/bin (and restart X after
> doing so)
>

> That fixes the performance problem. I'm assuming that's the
> --direct-rendering that's fixing it. What does "--loose-binding" and
> "--ignore-desktop-hints" do?

--loose-binding fixed a problem for me but I no longer remember what it was
--ignore-desktop-hints fixes the problem when you enable compiz while
metacity was running (ex via desktop-effects)  where you would have
viewports and workspaces at the same time.

Also, this has introduced some other problems:

> 1) I can no longer switch to the text VTs correctly. I believe this is
> something that NVidia was supposed to have addressed in this latest release,
> but apparently with direct-rendering it still doesn't work as it should. I
> switch once to the text VT, but when I switch back, I just have a black
> screen in X. The mouse still works, but nothing else is on the screen. If I
> do this a couple of times, I end up with a completely useless system (no
> keys respond any more and I can't get to a text console to init 3).

this is a nvidia driver bug due to sync_to_vblank when using
indirect-rendering  it does not work so you have not noticed that its
broken.
start gconf-editor and go apps->compiz.>general->screen0->options and
disable
sync_to_vblank

2) For whatever reason with all the hard powering off/on (b/c of the
> previous problem), my compiz plugin settings got whacked. So, now I can
> manually go into gconf-editor and add them back in, but the "decoration"
> plugin which gives me borders seems to disappear on each session restart. I
> don't know if that's something that I need to save in my session properties
> or not. I'll mess with that later. At least for my currently running
> session, I have what I need.

is the gtk-window-decorator process running when you start a new session?

Thanks,