RANDR 1.2 heads up

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 23:19:41 UTC 2007

xorg-x11-server-Xorg 1.2.99.901 has RANDR 1.2 support.  The client-side
bits have been in rawhide for a while, but this adds the server support.
The server itself was very close to what we had in rawhide anyway,
excluding the RANDR bits, so this _should_ be a low-impact change.  As
far as I can tell, drivers that are unaware of RANDR 1.2 work the same
as ever, so if you're using anything but the intel driver please yell at
me very loudly if this regresses anything for you.

If you're using the intel driver, well, you've been in experimental land
for a while anyway, and now it's going to do even more fun stuff.  Stuff
I've already hit:

- Gnome randr applet crashes. Like, instantly.
- Old school xrandr options sometimes do nonintuitive things,
particularly for rotation.
- DPI is only loosely related to reality.
- panel sometimes gets very confused about positioning.
- i865 and below probably don't work.

But on the plus side, you can enable and disable monitors at runtime
now.  It's like living in the future.

Please file bugs if you hit them (and fixes if you can!), we should be
able to get this pretty polished for 7 final.

- ajax