ATI Radeon support

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Mar 18 12:33:07 UTC 2007

Mike Chambers <mike <at> miketc.com> writes:
> I just bought a new Radeon X1300 and X fails to run on the radeon
> driver, and has to use vesa, although it *seems* to detect what type
> card it is.  Is this card supported or is using vesa the only way it's
> supported?

That's an R515-based card. http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
Everything >=R500 is not supported by the radeon driver (not even for
unaccelerated 2D), this includes the X1300 and everything with a higher model
number. So yes, you have to use vesa, or the evil proprietary driver. You
should have bought an X850 or lower instead, these even have 3D support now
(but a bit experimental for everything >=R300, i.e. >9250).

        Kevin Kofler