xorg version is wrong?

Darius Ivanauskas dasilt at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 12:40:28 UTC 2007

>On Tuesday 27 March 2007 02:48:16 Darius Ivanauskas wrote:
>> I just installed F7T2. And after all updates i tried to setup native ati
>> driver. And I failed it seems because of faulty X Window System version
>> reported on latest xorg build. Below is fragments of Xorg.0.log file. As
>> you can see the "X Window System Version" has same string as the xorg
>> server version itself. I suppose Xorg version should be 7.3 RC 2 or
>> something from 7.X, but not 1.X ... :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Darius Ivanauskas

>> X Window System Version 1.2.99.902 (1.3.0 RC 2)
>> Release Date: 14 March 2007
>> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.2.99.902
>
>Perhaps the 3rd party binary ATI driver (very much not "native") installer is
>dumb and should look at the X Protocol Version rather than the server
>version.  Just a thought, I'm sure Adam has a better one.
>
>--
>Jesse Keating
>Release Engineer: Fedora
I think it looks for the xorg version itself. Ati driver has prebuilt modules
depending on X Window system version, but not server version. Anyway, X Window
System veersion reported is wrong. My solution was to downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg
package to the initial F7T2 version: xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.2.0-6.fc7
Now the Xorg.0.log file says this:

X Window System Version 7.2.0
Release Date: 24 December 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
Build Operating System: Fedora Core 7 Red Hat, Inc.
Current Operating System: Linux localhost 2.6.20-1.3017.fc7 #1 SMP Thu Mar 22 23:00:37 EDT 2007 x86_64
Build Date: 20 February 2007
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.2.0-6.fc7

ATI driver is working ok now.

Regards,