F7 and iwlwifi using ipw3945 hardware

das das_deniz at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 16:55:39 UTC 2007

Wonderful Fedor WiFi Folks (wfwf),

I apologize for this sad email - but please help
educate us to be better users / bug reporters.

I'm sure I'm not the only one confused by the new
world of wifi and what f7 is doing and this site:

  http://intellinuxwireless.org/index.php?p=iwlwifi

isn't helping much.

Do we have an f7 wifi page write-up somewhere (you
know like the quickstart guide for Xen in FC4, FC5 and
FC6)  the fedoraproject.org wiki title search for
"wifi" finds "0 results out of about 7542 pages."

there's iwlwifi, "the new way," (which uses a mac80211
driver available in the kernel pkgs now (since what
rev?)) vs ipw*, "the old FC6/RHEL5 way"

yet we still have ipw2100 and ipw2200 -firmware pkgs?

and we don't have/need the ipw3954-firmware pkg but
instead we use the new microcode pkg iwlwifi-ucode
which we've renamed iwlwifi-firmware ?

i was going to try to repackage iwlwifi-0.0.16.tgz for
myself - but i don't even know what rpm this
corresponds to for us.... did we rename this too?
arggg... :)

thanks for reading and any feedback. hopefully someone
can scribble something up for wifi on the wiki,
contrasting old and new drivers, to help take some of
the incredible pressure off you all supporting this
feature set.

das