F7T4 PPC installs fine, but won't boot

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Fri May 4 05:10:44 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 20:33 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
>> I successfully booted from the ppc boot.iso and did an NFS install.
>> When it came to partitioning the disk I selected to remove ALL
>> partitions and then selected the default LVM partition layout and all
>> the other bootloader defaults, etc.
>>
>> The install completed successfully and I rebooted.
>>
>> When the box comes up all i get is a folder in the middle of the
>> screen with a flashing question mark.
>
> Hm, interesting. Can you boot into OpenFirmware (press
> Command-Option-O-F while it's booting) and show output of
> 'printenv boot-device' ?
>
> Also show output of 'dir hd:2,\' and 'dir hd:2,\\'.

> Then try 'boot hd:2,\ofboot.b`

Here it is...
http://people.redhat.com/poelstra/ppc-install/DSCN4779.JPG

Here are some other data points...

# how I formatted the drive at install time--the 8M HFS partition was left over from the first install and I wasn't sure what to do with it
http://people.redhat.com/poelstra/ppc-install/DSCN4777.JPG

# booted a gentoo live ppc cd and ran fdisk
http://people.redhat.com/poelstra/ppc-install/DSCN4782.JPG

# mounted root partition and looked at anaconda.ks created during install
http://people.redhat.com/poelstra/ppc-install/DSCN4787.JPG

Thanks for your help!