Comment requested on {bugzilla-information-gatherer.sh} script

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun May 13 14:21:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've noticed that a bugzillee is often requested to provide certain
information about an issue being seen. It made me think of making a
simple script that creates files that the bugzillee can easily attach /
upload to a bug if/when/requested.

I'm hoping that such a tool would help the issue resolution process:
- save time in getting the information to attach to the bug
- encourage people to make certain logs as attachment rather than inline.
- provide some often requested versioning information about
   - distro
   - kernel
   - running kernel
   - package version
   - package verify {ie has the user made adjustments to the config
files or is there packaged files missing etc.}
   - hw subsystems

As some information can only be accessed as root, those specific
commands request the user to provide the root password.

I've kept the specific logs - eg lsmod lspci, as separate files, rather
than building a single file containing all information; the thinking was
that those blocks of information are probably only relevant when asked for.

I would welcome any comment that people would like to make to improve
the script, or eg the relevance of the data generated etc, whether there
are other similar tools, and if there is any security problems with the
way I went about it.

For more general issues people have on fedora-list, other information
could be added: /boot/grub/grub.conf /etc/fstab /etc/mtab
/etc/modprobe.conf, smolt install /send / and provide smolt id. Do you
think there is a need for this ?

The script is at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DavidTimms/Scripts

DaveT.