VMware Workstation 6.0 Final - NoGo on F7T4

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Mon May 14 13:40:34 UTC 2007

On 5/14/07, Christopher A. Williams <chrisw at cawllc.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers! I commented out the line with Wextra and
> replaced it with a duplicate that does not include that parameter and
> everything compiled as it should.
>
> I'm surprised there isn't anything we can do about the SELinux issues.
> Would the troubleshooter be able to help? I'm also curious why this
> parameter in the kernel Makefile would cause these kinds of issues.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

I believe that '-Wextra' is added to identify kernel/module issues
with 'rapidly changing' rawhide kernels.

'vmware-config.pl' 'test compiles' some test files to try to auto
configure to the local kernel. It interprets compilation
errors/warnings as indicating missing kernel features/etc. '-Wextra'
tells the compiler to generate extra warning messages for certain C
coding constructs. So, VMware gets confused....

SELinux policy for VMware needs to be updated.  I've been too busy/lazy....

For now, the following edit commands 'work around' the problem.  Need
to run this each time you run 'vmware-config.pl':

ed /etc/vmware/locations
1,$s/\(answer BUILDR_vmblock \)yes/\1no/
1,$s/\(answer VMBLOCK_CONFED \)yes/\1no/

There are probably other ways to do this too...

tom
--
Tom London