How to get wireless on Toshiba laptop working

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 21:35:26 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com>
To: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 11:02:55 AM
Subject: Re: How to get wireless on Toshiba laptop working

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 05:54:36AM -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Should I try
>
> ndiswrapper?

Avoid like a plague.  Sometimes this is the last resort
but getting into that voluntarily is plain stupid.

> download NetworkManager?

That would be definitely helpful.  Is it not there by default?
Maybe you should just turn on NetworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher services?

> 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications,
> Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter

'madwifi' driver for Atheros cards works fine for years - at least
on i386.  It cannot be included in Fedora due to a presence
of "binary blob" HAL.  Recompiled binaries for Fedora kernels
you will find on http://rpm.livna.org/ (Livna recently had hard
disk failure and may not be yet in a full swing) or
on http://atrpms.net/.  Both provide yum repositories (and track
rawhide).

   Michal

Michal, and Dr. Diesel
Thanks, for your help.  Now I can connect to a wireless network with Linux.   Needed to install knetworkmanager for KDE.  Gnome is busted, does not want to load only gkrellm and Background show up.  Sound does not work.  I did it the hard way, through madwifi sources and thus wireless Works!!! I appreciate your suggestions and helpful comments.

Regards,

Antonio

____________________________________________________________________________________Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection.