Gnome desktop does nothing no icons

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 00:13:56 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com>
To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:21:16 PM
Subject: Re: Gnome desktop does nothing no icons

--- Cameron Meadors <cmeadors at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have seen something similar.  Are esd and sound
> event enabled?
> There is a problem with esd/alsa blocking apps from
> starting.  This
> includes gnome-session because it plays the login
> sound.  Try killing
> esd and see if you can start new apps.

How do I kill esd/alsa?

This is the same laptop for which there is no sound.
I have trashed the ~/.gnome ~/.gnome2, ~/.gconf
~/.gconfd/ and ~/.gnome2_private/ directories in the
hope that I'll get back gnome, but I have not been
successful.  I created two accounts and have logged in
to gnome and as root user copied the .gnome*
directories unto the original account to no avail.
For the meantime, KDE is working awesome, I just need
to yum install klaptop to see how much battery time I
have left.

The users I have created default into GNOME.  When I
try to logout, the computer does not repond.  When I
try to shutdown.  The computer does not respond.
Pressing CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE logs me out and/or shows
me when I shutdown or logged out.  The other test
machine, everything works except that if I forget to
leave a cd data/or music in one of the drives, I will
not have access to that drive via k3b/nautilus/etc.  I
have mentioned this several times, but I guess it is
not important.

Regards,

Antonio

> cameron
=== message truncated ===

Wireless working -> yes
Gnome is back -> yes
Sound -> No, but working on it.

Replying to myself but for completeness of the thread.  I got GNOME back as my own user.  I do not know exactly what fixed the issue.  But GNOME desktop is back.  Now to the sound issue.

Thanks,

Antonio