From Rawhide to Moonshine

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Thu May 31 22:14:45 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, cornel panceac <cpanceac at gmail.com> wrote:
> however there's something i'm not sure of: the pre-realease versions ofthe
> packages are compiled with debugging afaik, so just updating the
> fedora-release wil not imho get rid of debugging symbols, right? and until
> _all_ the old packages are updated there will still be a performance penalty

I don't think this is exact. AFAIK, the packages are always built with
the same compiler flags, so yes, debugging symbols are added (but you
won't notice since they are stored in -debuginfo packages) but no,
there is no performance penalty since the optimization are active.

The only minor(?) excepton to this is the kernel, where I think there
is some debugging stuff active in rawhide affecting performances.