how to test compiz-manager

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Thu Nov 1 10:12:36 UTC 2007

Am Do 1.November 2007 schrieb Gianluca Cecchi:
> Usually I used beryl-manager in F7.
> I have been using compiz in rawhide from the beginning
> Now I downloaded the recently added compiz-manager for upcoming f8.
> Should it replace ccsm?  Or is it intended to be only a launcher to be
> placed in session startup?

compiz-manager could not replace ccsm because it is (as you said) only a
launcher script. The intention was to add a similar functionality as
(Gnome's) desktop-effects for KDE users with kde-desktop-effects.sh in
compiz-kde. compiz-manager is used to start compiz.

> When I run it from a terminal I get
>
> Checking for Xgl: not present.
> Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 10de:0142 (rev a2) (prog-if 00
> [VGA]) Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
> Checking for non power of two support: present.
> Checking for Composite extension: present.
> Comparing resolution (1280x1024) to maximum 3D texture size (4096): Passed.
> Checking for nVidia: present.
> Checking for FBConfig: present.
> Checking for Xgl: not present.
> Starting gtk-window-decorator
>
> and all is ok with the effects.
> Also cube movement while clicking different desktop...
> While using GL Desktop function this is not enabled?????
>
> Finally compiz/compiz-fusion seem to have here the same fluidity that beryl
> already had many nonths ago... EVVIVA!
>
> I supposed to get similar thing as the beryl to manage all the effects,
> though, while I see nothing....

ccsm would be a replacement for beryl-settings. It likely will be available as
an update for f8: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=22211

> Is yet only gconf customizable on f8 or do I miss anything?

There's also the "ini"-Backend and kconfig. The last one would also be
available as an update for f8:

> Packages I have right now are:
>
> rpm -qa|grep compiz
> kicker-compiz-3.5.4-4.fc8
> libcompizconfig-0.6.0-3.fc8
> compiz-fusion-extras-0.6.0-1.fc8
> compiz-fusion-extras-gnome-0.6.0-1.fc8
> compiz-fusion-gnome-0.6.0-5.fc8
> compiz-manager-0.6.0-3.fc8
> compizconfig-python-0.6.0-1.fc8
> gnome-compiz-manager-0.10.4-2.fc8
> compiz-gnome-0.6.2-2.fc8
> compiz-fusion-0.6.0-5.fc8
>
> with compiz-manager active, running GL Desktop I get
> /usr/bin/compiz-manager: line 406:  3158 Terminated
> ${COMPIZ_BIN_PATH}gtk-window-decorator --replace

What do you mean with GL Desktop? The nvidia based counterpart for aiglx/xgl?

Sebastian