How to for upgrading from F7 to F8 via yum?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Nov 2 15:22:02 UTC 2007

Hi,

I would add a few things

On Friday 02 November 2007 10:07:42 am Jon Ciesla wrote:
> 1. Read the release notes.  Do anything required pre-upgrade.

resolve all rpmsave/new files first.

> 2. Manually download and install fedora-release* rpms for the new version.

In general, you may also need to install the new kernel and reboot into it.

> 3. yum clean all

put selinux in permissive mode - setenforce 0

> 4. yum update

yum upgrade?

> 5. Get more coffee
> 6. Read /.
> 7. When yum is finished, reboot.

tell selinux to relabel on next boot - touch /.autorelabel

> 8. Clean up anything required post-install from the release notes.

resolve all rpmsave/new files

> 9. Profit!!

I use the following script to locate the rpmsave/new files and --cleanup takes
care of the simple problems. Everything left over needs diff'ing to see if you
want the new changes.

-Steve

#!/bin/bash
#
# This script looks for rpmsave/new files and compares them against
# the original to see if they can be removed

remove="0"
usage="Usage: $0 [--cleanup]"

if [ $# -ge 2 ] ; then
        echo "$usage"
        exit 1
fi
if [ $# -eq 1 ] ; then
        if [ $1 = "--cleanup" ] ; then
                remove="1"
        else
                echo $usage
                exit 1
        fi
fi

files=`find / -name '*.rpm[ns]*'`
if [ x"$files" = "x" ] ; then
        echo "No problems found"
        exit 0
fi

for f in $files
do
        orig="${f%.rpmnew}"
        if [ $f = $orig ] ; then
                orig="${f%.rpmsave}"
        fi
        if [ $f = $orig ] ; then
                echo "Unknown file $f"
                continue
        fi
        if [ ! -f $orig ] ; then
                # Looks like an orphan
                if [ $remove = "1" ] ; then
                        echo "Removing orphaned $f"
                        rm -f $f
                else
                        echo "Orphan found $f"
                fi
                continue
        fi
        diff -u $orig $f >/dev/null 2>&1
        if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
                # Same...delete the new one
                if [ $remove = "1" ] ; then
                        echo "Removing identical file $f"
                        rm -f $f
                else
                        echo "Identical file $f"
                fi
                continue
        fi
        ls -l --time-style=long-iso $f | awk '{ printf "%-50s\t%s\t%s\n", $8, $6, $7 }'
done