Re- Coexistience

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Nov 5 19:03:03 UTC 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:04:52PM -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> >IIRC a label of a file system is used inside of initrd.

I re-checked and this is indeed the case.  In 'init' script
you may find lines of that sort:
echo Creating root device.
mkrootdev -t ext3 -o defaults,ro LABEL=/1
echo Mounting root filesystem.

If labels are messed up then you are attempting to use as
a root filesystem something else you wanted/expected.

> That's great.  Put it out of easy reach.

You do not have to reach that far.  If you relabeled filesystems
then rerun mkinitrd to recreate things like they should be.  If
for some reasons you do not want/can do that then

   zcat <oldinitrd> | cpio -imd

in some work directory unpacks everything and you may edit
'init' script with any sane editor.

   find . | cpio -H newc -o | gzip -9 > <oldinitrd>

will repack modified stuff. cpio options are those used in
/sbin/mkinitrd.

> Maybe Fedora doesn't like being on the third HD but booted
> from the first HD with chainloader+1

I do not think so.  I am booting my various installations
exactly that way.

   Michal