FC8T3 on Compaq Presario V5000

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 20:13:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 11:08 -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> After a nominal install, Fedora  presented the famous X on weave
> display which usually goes away quickly as the X server moves
> on to more interesting things.  In this case it stayed on the big X,
> responsive to mouse movements but little else.  I rebooted the
> machine and Fedora came up.  I have seen this behavior a
> number of times.

Again: this is a known bug in RC3 that's fixed in the final images. See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/8/FinalTreeTesting which mentions bug
#362721.

> Fedora's network
> tools did not see the Broadcom, however iwconfig does
> come up with a wlan0.  I haven't tried bringing up wpa_supplicant
> manually yet.  WPA has been out for a while now and as the only
> reasonably secure layer it should be easy to use if not the default.

Broadcom doesn't allow us to redistribute their firmware.
Check /var/log/messages; there's probably messages in there like this:

Firmware file [filename] not found or load failed.
You must go to
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/bcm43xx#devicefirmware and
download the correct firmware (version [number]).

Download the appropriate firmware and follow the instructions on that
page and your wireless will probably work just fine.

-w