gdm has problems with selinux or vice versa

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 00:12:39 UTC 2007

--- Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > after updating and getting the INIT: error that
> > had posted before, I can login by pressing enter
> and
> > get X, however, when starting up I am greeted by
> > setroubleshooter with some messages
> > >
> > > [olivares at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release
> > > Fedora release 8.90 (Rawhide)
> > > [olivares at localhost ~]$ date
> > > Sun Nov 11 10:40:25 CST 2007
> > > [olivares at localhost ~]$
> > >
> > > I try to apply the fix suggested, but it does
> not
> > seem to be working :(

=== message truncated ===

./touch autorelabel
did not fix anything :(  Still see these

Summary
    SELinux is preventing gdm (xdm_t) "getattr" to
/bin/rpm (rpm_exec_t).

Detailed Description
    SELinux denied access requested by gdm. It is not
expected that this access
    is required by gdm and this access may signal an
intrusion attempt. It is
    also possible that the specific version or
configuration of the application
    is causing it to require additional access.

Allowing Access
    Sometimes labeling problems can cause SELinux
denials.  You could try to
    restore the default system file context for
/bin/rpm, restorecon -v /bin/rpm
    If this does not work, there is currently no
automatic way to allow this
    access. Instead,  you can generate a local policy
module to allow this
    access - see
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2961385
Or you
    can disable SELinux protection altogether.
Disabling SELinux protection is
    not recommended. Please file a
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi
against this package.

Additional Information

Source Context
system_u:system_r:xdm_t:SystemLow-SystemHigh
Target Context
system_u:object_r:rpm_exec_t
Target Objects                /bin/rpm [ file ]
Affected RPM Packages         rpm-4.4.2.2-7.fc9
[target]
Policy RPM
selinux-policy-3.0.8-44.fc8
Selinux Enabled               True
Policy Type                   targeted
MLS Enabled                   True
Enforcing Mode                Enforcing
Plugin Name                   plugins.catchall_file
Host Name                     localhost
Platform                      Linux localhost
2.6.23.1-42.fc8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 30
                              13:55:12 EDT 2007 i686
athlon
Alert Count                   4401
First Seen                    Sun 11 Nov 2007 09:11:06
AM CST
Last Seen                     Mon 12 Nov 2007 06:09:42
PM CST
Local ID
e1676a84-c6d0-45b8-97d7-c7cae2d755c1
Line Numbers

Raw Audit Messages

avc: denied { getattr } for comm=gdm dev=dm-0 egid=0
euid=0 exe=/bin/bash
exit=-13 fsgid=0 fsuid=0 gid=0 items=0 path=/bin/rpm
pid=4958
scontext=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 sgid=0
subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 suid=0
tclass=file
tcontext=system_u:object_r:rpm_exec_t:s0 tty=(none)
uid=0

Thanks,

Antonio