Screen flicker on F8 and GNOME

Aravind Seshadri aravind at aravind.name
Tue Nov 13 18:11:19 UTC 2007

With Fedora 8 and GNOME I see screen flicker. The screen does not
flicker always but happens during certain events. Like for example

(1) if I type a command in Terminal and press tab to auto complete the
command, the screen flickers. Or when I press backspace without anything
typed in the command line.

(2) in gedit (or System log viewer) when I am at the end of the file and
when I press the down arrow or when I press the page down button.

(3) when new mail arrives in Evolution. I have a mail notification setup
and whenever a new mail arrives the screen flickers.

(4) pressing backspace in an empty text filed (in Evolution To, Cc, Bcc
and subject filed also in Run Application text field etc.)

It seems like the screen flicker occurs only in GNOME. I installed Xfce
and I did not encounter this behavior. Does not look like a graphics
card problem since it happens only when these events are triggered and
also I did not see this in Fedora 7 or in Fedora Core 6 on this same
computer.

Anyone know what might be going wrong?

--
Best Regards,