Fedora 8 Test Update: mock-0.8.8-1.fc8

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Nov 22 20:40:37 UTC 2007

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 03:17 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> So your point is that you feel the community really needs to have list
>> setup
>> such as below?
>> fedora-test-updates-list
>> fedora-test-release-list
>> fedora-devel-list
>>
>> all of which relate to testing and development issues for packages not
>> yet
>> released...
>>
>> Just having the announcements split off to another list hardly suits
>> your needs
>> either given your feelings above and not wanting to know anything
>> about updates
>> and discussion of them.
>
> Actually, I believe there is discussion going on (devel-list maybe?)
> about disbanding the test-list and moving all discussions to devel-list
> anyway.

I won't be joining it. Not entirely related to this, I'm reflecting on
my membership of fedora-list, I find I'm spending too much time on it.

So if there's no list for discussing pending new releases and I find
fedora-list takes more of my time than I wish to spend, how/where then
do I participate?

> Now, upon whether that happens or not, if it does, there is already a
> fedora-package-announce list for official updates.  Either there is a
> separate one for test-updates, or they too will also move to devel-list
> and you'll need to specify more in your filters to help separate the
> emails on conversion vs announcements, as I have.
>
> I guess it all comes down to, what is easier to use/maintain in all of
> this, fewer lists and just setup filters to get through them easier, but
> more traffic?  Or more lists, less traffic, but also more things to
> admin, take care of, and watch on the hosting side?  Lots of things to
> consider?

Put it all in one list. I'll get my coat and leave. I want less mail,
not more.

Really, there's not much ongoing maintenance for a list, it's more
related to volume (and class of user) than the number of lists, and
sharing the workload is easier if there are more units to share around.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait