Booting problem with latest rawhide

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 22:17:36 UTC 2007

Todd Denniston wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote, On 11/30/2007 06:01 AM:
>>
>> Have you tried booting from the cd and fsck the root partition?
>> During the boot
>> process the root partition will get mounted readonly, then unmounted and
>> remounted r/w.  It may be its failing to do that for a specific reason
>> due to
>> the filesystem.
>>
>> BTW, its not an external western digital usb2/firewire drive by chance?
>>

> Clue request:
> what (in general) is wrong with using one of those western digital usb2
> drives to boot from?
> I ask because I intend to.

Sorry I doubt there is reason to panic in general, but I have one causing me
problems being used on a firewire interface (wd caviar ide drive in external
enclosure).  The external drive cannot be turned on when I boot the kernel or it
panics out with cryptic messages galore (orb2 noreply stuff).  The drive works
fine if its not turned on when I boot the machine, so there is no way I could
install to this drive.  The problem has only recently started with F8 kernels
since just before release and I have one older kernel that does not do this.

I was just wondering if there was any common issue with the OP, but it seems
not, so go for your install plan!

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>
   gpg 0xC99B1DF3 at pgp.mit.edu