GRUB after hibernate

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 21:28:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 22:02 +0100, Leon Stringer wrote:
> I'm thinking of installing F8t1 on my laptop. Can anyone tell me if
> there's been any movement on running GRUB after Fedora is hibernated.
> IIRC this isn't shown because the user could choose a different kernel
> losing any unsaved data from the hibernated session.

Actually, the _bigger_ concern is that someone does exactly like you
wants to and boots into another OS.  And from that OS, they modify
filesystems (maybe you have your ntfs filesystems mounted under Linux or
you access the ext3 partitions from Windows) which then leads to
significant filesystem corruption when you resume from hibernate.

> However, this seems to be burdening the user with cumbersome
> functionality whereas what it really needs is a technical solution.

This is the technical solution.  There's not really any other way to do it.

Jeremy