all I wanted was to update the kernel, not a crypto lesson ...

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 20:44:12 UTC 2007

On 03/10/2007, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:14:14PM +0100, Christopher Brown wrote:
> > To prevent accidental testing/unstable/rawhide/development packages you
> need
> > to add a flag in yum. This is enough to discourage users from borking
> their
> > system. Not importing the key - that's just annoying and another hurdle
> > overcome. Especially when its available. This should be changed as Jesse
> has
> > indicated it might well be.
>
> Not importing the development key by default is still a check against
> accidentally getting development packages installed if your repository
> information gets mixed up, or if a development package accidentally slips
> into the main updates.

No. I think typing --enablerepo=development or manually editing as root the
fedora-development.repo file is a perfectly good safeguard against that. As
for development packages accidentally slipping into main updates, I thought
thats what updates-testing and bodhi were there to prevent (in part) along
with common sense and basic intelligence.

As I have been reviewing bugs it is key to be able to say to people:

"Okay, a fix is in rawhide - please test"

as opposed to:

"Okay, a fix is in rawhide but please learn the intricacies of package
management before applying". Also known as travelling from London to Paris
via Bristol.

Cheers
Chris

--