Wireless doesn't work. (Fixed, don't know why)

Douglas Kilpatrick kilpatds at oppositelock.org
Sat Oct 6 05:38:37 UTC 2007

I was playing around with the wireless setting last night, and it works
now.  I have no idea why.

I started out unable to associate, as normal.  (The access point shows the
correct MAC address, but the signal strength is reported as 0, and DHCP
doesn't.)

My access point was set up with only 1 valid key, and under "Advanced
Wireless Settings", the authentication type was "Shared".  I changed the
authentication type to "Auto", and populated the other 3 key slots.  Then I
ran "iwconfig wlan0 essid <ESSID> key [2] <key2> key [3] <key3> key [4]
<key 4>"

At that point, it associated.  I used nm-applet, and was able to get an ip
address.  I rebooted, the fix seems to have stuck.  (It also worked after a
full power-off).

Other systems are still able to use the network, so I didn't change the
first key.  The only conclusion I can come to is that changing the
authentication type fixed things.  That authentication type worked fine
when the laptop was running Fedora 6.

I was also unable to associate with a friend's wireless network.  I'll be
able to test that this week and see if it's magically better now too.  If
so, that kills the authentication type theory, and we're back at black magic.

Doug
--
Doug Kilpatrick
kilpatds at oppositelock.org