F8T3 fails to detect my existing F7 install

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Oct 8 11:59:05 UTC 2007

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Neal Becker wrote:

> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> From: Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com>
> Subject: F8T3 fails to detect my existing F7 install
>
> This is my current (F7) grub.conf.  You'll notice root is
> set to (hd1,1), which is /dev/sdb2, labeled /boot1.
>
> If I try to install F8T3, it doesn't offer to add this to
> grub.  In fact, I don't see any way to install F8T3 and
> still be able to boot F7.

I have the same problem on my laptop. I'm installing F8t3 to
a new root partition, without overwritting my FC6
installation root partition.

My workaround is to mount the FC6 root partition, that
contains the /boot/grub directory. (It's not a seperate boot
partition)

Then copy and paste the entries from the FC6
/boot/grub.grub.conf file, to the new F8t3
/boot/grub/grub.conf file. That way I can choose between
booting the F8t3 installation, or fallback to the current
stable FC6 installation which is working fine.

HTH

Keith Roberts

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net