sound settings not saved when computer is rebooted

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 13:54:34 UTC 2007

--- Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > something
> > before?
> > >>
> > > No, they are no different, what I mean to say is
> > that
> > > if you set alsamixer with some values, you turn
> > off
> > > your machine your settings are not saved.  You
> > have to
> > > reset the volume to your preferences.
> >
> > And just before you "reset the volume to your
> > preferences", what are the
> > faders and mutes actually showing {zero,
> {un}muted,
> > random, full, half }?
>
> What I had saved previously,
>
> Master Volume Tab 87
> Master Mono 87
> PCM values set to 87
> CD 87
> Video 87
>
> Settings after Reboot get reset to
>
> Master 74
> Master Mono 74
> PCM 52
> CD 74
> Video 0
>

> > Or are you saying that the values in the mixer are
> > correctly remembered,
> > but not applied ?
> >
> > Is it all settings, or perhaps just the capture
> > source selection ?
> >
> > When you "turn off" or restart, are you doing the
> > normal from the menu
> > shutdown or restart options ? {not hitting the
> power
> > switch or reset
> > switch ;) }
>
> Normal shutdown or reboot, results are the same.
> >
> > DaveT.
> >
> > --
>
> Old workaround to use /sbin/salsa -s in
> /etc/rc.local
> does not work anymore.
>
> [olivares at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/rc.local
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # This script will be executed *after* all the other
> init scripts.
> # You can put your own initialization stuff in here
> if
> you don't
> # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
>
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> /sbin/salsa -l
> [olivares at localhost ~]$
>
> What takes care of the saving the sound settings?
>
> New Sound server, pulse audio?
> /etc/modprobe.conf with /sbin/alsactl restore,
> /sbin/alasctl store, or with /sbin/salsa -l and what
> saves the settings alsactl or salsa?
>
> We need to have this corrected so that users in
> Fedora
> 8 can have a pleasant experience with sound.
> Settings
> in Fedora 7 do not get saved as well but good thing
> that the workaround does work there :).
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

BTW, here are the contents of /etc/modprobe.conf

[olivares at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 forcedeth
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
alias scsi_hostadapter1 pata_pcmcia
alias scsi_hostadapter2 sata_via
alias scsi_hostadapter3 sata_svw
alias scsi_hostadapter4 sata_vsc
alias scsi_hostadapter5 pata_ali
alias scsi_hostadapter6 pata_amd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0
>/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r
--ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

Notice the above lines

remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0
>/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r
--ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

Thanks,

Antonio