"yum update" dependency error

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 11 14:50:36 UTC 2007

On Thursday 11 October 2007 09:12:34 am Caerie Houchins wrote:
> On 10/11/07, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> >   the very latest "yum update" attempt:
> >
> > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> > Error: Unresolvable requirement redhat-artwork = 7.0.0-14.fc8
> > for redhat-artwork-kde
> > Error: Unresolvable requirement fedorainfinity-gdm-theme for
> > gdm
> >
> > rday
> >
> > --
> >========= Robert P. J. Day
> > Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> > Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
> >
> > http://crashcourse.ca
>
> This is what you can exclude to fix the gdm-theme requirement.
>
> yum update --exclude=fedora-gnome-theme
>
> I don't use kde and am not seeing the other error.

   Could be the OP jus wanted to alert the problem  (?)  That is my
purpose too, an what work around works.

   When I run across deps that --skip-broken fails on, I use this
script.  It use to be on some yum page (tips'n tricks ?) but
disappeared when the skip-broken (which often doesn't) plugin came
out.

#!/bin/sh

 for i in `yum list updates |cut -f 1 -d " " |grep -A 500 -e
Updated |\
   (the above line should all be on one line)

 grep -v -e Updated` ; do
       echo "Updating $i"
       yum -y update $i

   After savin it as 'yumnd' in my ~/bin dir, I made it executable.
Runnin 'yumnd' (as root) got all the updates. I use it
after  'yum --skip-broken upgrade' fails, specially since all the
d/l'g is already done.

--
    Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas