ThinkPad 600X Experiences with F8T3

chris at idlelion.net chris at idlelion.net
Thu Oct 11 19:25:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Adam Jackson wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 11:27 -0500, chris at idlelion.net wrote:

>>> ThinkWiki tells me this laptop has a neomagic graphics chip.  Do you see
>>> these artifacts when using the vesa driver?
>>
>> Thanks Adam,
>>
>> Yep. It's a NM2360 or NeoMagic MagicGraph 256ZX with 4MB. It worked fine
>> with FC6.
>
> That's really bizarre.  The driver hasn't changed since then.
> Presumably the server's just doing something different now?
>
> Do you have X log files to compare from FC6 and F8t3?

Hm. No. I can make some I suppose, but since the driver "works" enough for
me to see what's going on, I don't expect there will be any notable
differences.

>> 1) How do I test the vesa driver?
>
> Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf, change the word 'neomagic' to 'vesa'.

OK. Wow. First noticeable change was that the welcome screen went from
1024x768 to 800x600 and from blue to green. In fact, the entire GUI seemed
to shift hue by 120 degrees: blues became greens, greens became reds, and
reds became blues.

Changing the display from 24-bit to 16-bit color fixed the hues. I would
like to use all of my screen, though, so the vesa driver is not a viable
long-term solution.

>> 2) Is there a way to benchmark
>> performance? (If the vesa driver seems snappy, I'll just use that
>> instead.)
>
> yum -y install gtkperf, and compare runs.  The vesa driver will be
> completely unaccelerated, and in particular you won't get Xv, but it
> might be fast enough for you depending what you're doing.

Running with the neomagic driver, 1024x768, 24-bit color gave me about 84
seconds. Vesa, 800x600, 16-bit gave me 67 seconds. Hmm.

I also did an update and the neomagic driver still has serious issues.
Should I post logs? Take pictures? What would help?

Chris