"yum update" dependency error

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 11 23:58:24 UTC 2007

Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Thursday 11 October 2007 04:53:24 pm Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Tom Brinkman wrote:
>>>    IIRC you were the one that complained when I posted that
>>> script long ago (over a year, nearly two?).  Of course you're
>>> correct, but, again IIRC that is a script authored by SV, an he
>>> an other devels are aware that --s-b often fails an they're
>>> workin on it on yum-devel, the ML.
>> Actually. no. The script was written before the plugin appeared.
>
>    Yes, did I say anthing different?

Your claim is that developers are already aware of the problems which
wouldn't the case where everyone workarounds the problems without
reporting them.

Your old 'file a BZ' doesn't
> work here (rawhide).  Often mirrors or updates are borked for a day
> or so, then fixed or caught up. But you know that

Rawhide actually is where we need more feedback via bug reports than in
general releases. If the mirrors are delayed, it is easy enough to pick
one that is more up2date or just use the base location.

>    You've yet to ans why the 'old' script works, when --s-b fails.
> Probly not your bailiwick anyhow.

Everybody would know only when bugs are reported. I don't have any
magical ability to find out.

>    An I agree, most things should be BZ'd rather than work'd around.
> I just don't think this is one for your standard Rahul BZ response.
> I agree with the OP that this list is a proper place to note daily
> mirror/--s-b problems... but BZ no.  Heck it'll probly be fixed
> manyana anyhow  YMMV

That's what people think and bugs leak into the general releases and
everybody is up on arms about lack of testing. Yum skip broken related
issues are not just one. I have been reports of many so it is unlikely
that all of them will get fixed before even being reported.

Rahul