problem with Kernel 2.6.23-6.fc8

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 04:13:16 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 03:01:57PM -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
 > On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 14:15 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
 > > On the keyboard the Caps Lock and  Scroll Lock keep flashing.
 >
 > This is a primary indicator that you're experiencing a kernel panic.
 > When you reboot, is there anything suspicious near the end of
 > your /var/log/messages file? (Hopefully, the kernel was able to dump a
 > stacktrace of the panic, or what may have caused it, etc.)

Chances are, at that stage of boot sysklogd isn't running.
Even if it is, the chances of the kernel panic hitting the logs
are extremely slim (we tend to lock up instantly, and ext3
needs at least 5 seconds for something to hit the disk).

To get better debug data from this, I suggest turning off
rhgb (remove it from the grub command line), and booting with
vga=791 to get more lines of text onscreen.  Hopefully
that will then lockup with the panic onscreen where it
can be captured with a digital camera (or worse case, by hand)

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk