missing dependencies for yum update

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 17:15:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:05:59 -0700
John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:

> Why doesn't this work?
>
> # yum update --exclude=kdebase --exclude=kdegraphics --exclude=kdelibs
>
> Error: Missing Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4()(64bit) is needed by
> package kdegraphics Error: Missing Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4 is
> needed by package kdegraphics Error: Missing Dependency: libHalf.so.4
> is needed by package kdelibs Error: Missing Dependency:
> libIlmImf.so.4 is needed by package kdelibs Error: Missing
> Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4()(64bit) is needed by package kdelibs
> Error: Missing Dependency: libHalf.so.4()(64bit) is needed by package
> kdelibs Error: Missing Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4 is needed by
> package kdebase Error: Missing Dependency: libIlmImf.so.4()(64bit) is
> needed by package kdebase

Something else in your update set requires the updated
kdebase/graphics/libs and thus they're being pulled back in.  All
--exclude does is remove them from being looked at for updates in the
first pass.  If something else in your update set requires newer
versions of those they will be added into the transaction set.

--
Jesse Keating