Graphical windows at boot disappeared

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 01:25:53 UTC 2007

Hi,
> It doesn't exit as before. It doesn't tell you what process is being
> performed any longer either.
> Either the labels announcing what is going on currently or a label or
> visual representation that the bar passes would be nice.
> A blank bar introduces one of the annoyances that MS products expose
> users to. There is no clue to what is happening behind the scenes.
> I realize this is probably intentional for users who only care that
> the computer boots. It just seems to dumb down an impression Linux has
> as a plus to the environment.
That's been the case for a few weeks now.  What happened was we were
hitting a bug with the new F8 theme where things wouldn't scale
correctly.  There was two ways we could fix it:

1) add a bunch of code
2) remove a bunch of code

It turns out it only had a hard-coded list of about 12 services that it
would present anyway (also, some of them weren't even useful in fedora
like RHN, or only useful once like firstboot), so we discussed it and
decided to ditch the messages.

We don't want to invest a lot of time in RHGB because it's going to get
retired in F9 for better graphical boot options.

Note you can still get very detailed messages by clicking the Details
expander.

--Ray