Firefox 2.0.0.8-1 on FC7 fails with dependency errors

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Wed Oct 24 07:56:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:09:58 -0500 (CDT), Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> rpm -Fvh firefox*
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>          gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by (installed)
> devhelp-0.13-9.fc7.i386
>          gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by (installed)
> yelp-2.18.1-5.fc7.i386
>
> rpm -UVH yields the same thing.
>
> I can't find gecko-libs anywhere, including the development repo.

When you use "rpm", take another step and query your RPM database:

  rpm --query --whatprovides gecko-libs

It is a virtual package provided by "firefox". The other two packages
quoted above depend on the exact version, so you cannot upgrade
firefox/gecko-libs to a different version without replacing
yelp/devhelp.