A couple of annoying F8t3 things

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 25 08:22:02 UTC 2007

Caolan McNamara wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 16:56 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>> I've noticed two annoying issues in f8t3.
>>
>> 1. Applications seems to take quite a while to 'appear' on the desktop.
>> After clicking an application on the panel (gedit, gnome-terminal, etc)
>> it takes about 10 secs for them to appear on the desktop.
>>
>> 2. Evolution (particularly compose) seems to 'pause' for 10 seconds or
>> so every now and then and it becomes unresponsive.  Makes typing emails
>> a pain in the bum (and I've seen it three times in this short email.)
>>
>> I'm going to bz these, but we wondering if others have seen this too.
>
> I've sometimes seen stuff like that happen with slightly busted
> networking or something, i.e. strace -f gedit from a terminal and see if

If it's blocking significantly on something in /tmp/, that's serious.
Those are unix domain sockets, and their traffic is local to the box.

> it is blocking a long time on /tmp/.ICE-unix/XXXX and compare startup
> time of apps before after after deleting /tmp/.ICE-unix/XXXX

What I was wondering is what size* box is Rodd using, and might
Evolution 's pauses be while it's saving the work file? Seamonkey does
that on SL5 (Tikanga-clone), and loses keystrokes. It bugs me.

CPU, RAM, disk  disk speed as measured by "hdparm -t /dev/sda"

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait