package changes size?

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 26 13:36:38 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 October 2007 07:42:09 am seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 14:19 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> > > Yeah.
> > > It wouldn't need to be perfect {eg when scripts generate
> > > further data during the install}.
> > > What OS does that?
> > > Like zipinfo. Maybe a new feature to include in rpm metadata
> > > itself ? Maybe Fedora needs to be first modern one ?

      It wouldn't be the first. (see below)

> > It's likely easier -- the rpm header contains all the needed
> > info already afaik. And it's even in the data that yum
> > downloads afaics; take a look at the file
> > /updates/7/x86_64/repodata/primary.xml.gz on your favorite
> > mirror and you'll for each package see something like this:
> >
> > [...]
> >   <size package="400311" installed="1213843"
> > archive="1218576"/> [...]
> >
> > I suppose that's the data that is needed and it's likely in the
> > primary.sqlite.bz2 (which yum prefers these days iirc) as well.
> >
> > David, maybe just file a bug as RFE and see what happens.
>
> I can tell you what'll happen :)
>
> The issue is where to put the data on the screen and how to keep
> from confusing the user. We could definitely say 'total installed
> size' in the total summary but putting installed size next to
> download size for each package just eats up valuable screen
> real-estate on a console.
>
> So if you want to file a bug, no problem, just have a suggestion
> on where you want this to show up.
>
> -sv

    I came to rawhide from cooker (Mandriva) almost two years ago.
Mdv's utility (urpmi) displayed disk space needed rather than d/l
size. Most urpmi complaints on the cooker ML were that d/l size
should be displayed, not disk space. As when updating, disk space
change is negligible, but d/l size is much more important.  I used
40%, eg, if urpmi announced the updates totaled 200MB, the
approximate d/l would be 80MB's.  On coming to Fedora, one of the
things I appreciated most was that yum displayed d/l size(s)/total,
not mostly useless disk space needed. Please keep it that way.
--
    Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas