package changes size?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Oct 26 15:01:50 UTC 2007

On 26.10.2007 16:06, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:03:10 +0200
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>> most people are afaics
>> used to compression when it comes do downloads and thus won't wonder
>> why "sum of all packages != download size".
> Don't count on that.  I'm extremely used to my download tools telling
> me how much data I'm about to download, and showing appropriate
> progress bars as such.  If I had to just guess at what the compressed
> size was that would be bad.

That why I suggest to show how much yum is about to download in total.

E.g. in this output:
"""
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 compiz-fusion-extras    x86_64     0.6.0-1.fc8      fedora            2.0 M
Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 2.0 M
Is this ok [y/N]: n
"""

just do

- compiz-fusion-extras    x86_64     0.6.0-1.fc8      fedora            2.0 M
+ compiz-fusion-extras    x86_64     0.6.0-1.fc8      fedora            4.4 M

because that where the info "size on disk" is IMHO way more important
then the download size. In addition maybe do

-Total download size: 2.0 M
-Total download size: 2.0 M          Total size on disk: 4.4 M

This should make most people happy IMHO, because you get the amount yum is
going to download and avoid this:
# yum install compiz-fusion-extras
[...]
Installing:
 compiz-fusion-extras    x86_64     0.6.0-1.fc8      fedora            2.0 M
[...]
# yum remove compiz-fusion-extras
[...]
Removing:
 compiz-fusion-extras    x86_64     0.6.0-1.fc8      installed         4.4 M
[...]

CU
knurd