[solved] Re: To a completed dvd rawhide downloader

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 28 13:18:01 UTC 2007

David Timms wrote:
>> I was wondering if someone could run iso-info on the downloaded dvd, and
>> email the results either to myself or in reply to this message, as
>> follows:
>>
>> iso-info -q -l -i /home/old/8/rawhide-dvd-20071024-i386.iso
>>> rawhide-dvd-20071024-i386.iso-info.txt
>> {from libcdio} similar for ppc and _64 if you dl'ed that.
> OK, thanks to Markku {x86_64} and Charlie {i386} for emailing me the
> iso-info dvd structure dumps. I don't have ppc so I'm not concerned
> about that unless a ppc user wants to use this method to speed up the
> iso download.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-June/msg00018.html
>
> If anyone would like to try this bittorrent speed up method, let me
> know, and I'll place the needed isoinfo files easily accessible.

By the way this worked out OK. I got to 45% of the i386 dvd iso complete
based on my pre-downloads of the mounted f8t3dvd and yum cache for
development. It isn't as good as I expected. I think this is mainly due
to the chunk size on the .torrent being 256kB {and lots of files being
less than 256kB}. But still getting the iso in 5hr34 instead of closer
to 10 hours on my ADSL2 service is a definite time saver. If the
upstream was available as an rsync, that would have been maybe 85%
pre-downloaded.

DaveT.