Fwd: dell Inspiron 6400 sleep quirks not recognized

Jason Dwyer Jason.Dwyer at redata.com.au
Mon Oct 29 10:18:40 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 11:00 -0500, "Fulko Hew" <fulko.hew at gmail.com>
wrote:
-----------------------------
> I decided to play with sleep and suspend on my Dell Inspiron 6400...
> Most things work, but during recovery from sleep, the screen was
> still dark/blank.  So following the instructions on the quirk site, I tried:
>

> lshal | grep system.hardware
>
> and I get:
>
> [root at localhost log]# lshal | grep system.hardware
>   system.hardware.primary_video.product = 10146  (0x27a2)  (int)
>   system.hardware.primary_video.vendor = 32902  (0x8086)  (int)
>   system.hardware.product = 'MM061'  (string)
>   system.hardware.serial = 'XXXXXX'  (string)
>   system.hardware.uuid = 'XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX'  (string)
>   system.hardware.vendor = 'Dell Inc.'  (string)

I have a dell inspiron 9400, and like you i also had an issue with resume from suspend ( blank screen, but the rest of it comes back up ok )

i only had a very brief click through f8 from the test-3 live image, and didnt really have time to dig in any deeper at the time, but this is one of those things that can really make or break the perception of a distro IMHO

( the rest of f8 looks pretty rock solid to me...)

FYI, my inspiron 9400 reports:

jasond at granite:~>lshal | grep hardware
  system.hardware.product = 'MP061'  (string)
  system.hardware.serial = 'XXXXXX'  (string) // hashed out - this is the service tag too eh?
  system.hardware.uuid = 'XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX'  (string)
  system.hardware.vendor = 'Dell Inc.'  (string)
  laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware = false  (bool)

my brief glance at the .fdi markup makes me think Fulko's remedy seems to me to be on the right track, but not to sure what goes on with all the 'merge' elements, especially given the lack of a common identifier in the system.hardware.product lines that lshal shows up.

i wonder also if newer latitude models will suffer from the same quirks quirk? :( (my wife runs an old latitude, perhaps after she nods off i'll try the live cd and see what that reports, lest she find out i'm quietly linuxing her laptop...)

perhaps the lower down code in hal needs to dig a little deeper to get the Inspiron string?

cheers,

J.Dwyer