[F8] Boot fails on any second attemp, Network manager, general Java and WLan issues.

timohirt timohirt at gmx.de
Mon Oct 29 16:20:46 UTC 2007

Hello,

yesterday I installed Fedora 8 on my T61 and I like it. But there are a
few bugs which are annoying to me.

The worst thing is that I have to reboot Fedora twice anytime I'm
rebooting because the screen stays black on the first reboot.
Maybe because of the Nvidia drivers from livna. While I am writing this
I test to boot up in init 3 to see when the boot up process breaks.

Next point is a wired java problem. I need Websphere Application Server
V 6.1 for work. If I try to start the installer there are some swing
errors and the install progress breaks. I tried to install the AS with
the same CD on Ubuntu 7.10 and it worked fine. I have no idea why I have
this errors with Fedora. I tried Sun SDK 5 and 6. The WebSphere
installer log says:

Install, com.installshield.wizard.StandardWizardListener, err, could not
initalize interface swing.

Oh, and there are some network related issues too. I use the Intel
4965AGN Wlan adapter which Fedora supports out of the box. Thats great!
But I cant disable initializatio on boot time. At any boot the wlan0
interface determies a IP address. I use the Network Manager and cant
disable that. Its annoying because you cant break with CNTR + C, then
the system reboots.
The new Network Manager interface I like too, but I need IEEE8021X to
access the university WLan. So i cant use it this time because the
Network Manager gui provides only a disabled connect button. If I
configure wpa_supplicant to access the network a lot of authentification
and association errors appear.

Any suggestions? Tomorrow I am goning to reinstall Fedora 8 with a
preview DVD Image I download this time.

Cheers!