Panasonic CF-52 (Radeon X2100), and xorg does not work with F8T3

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Oct 30 20:39:39 UTC 2007

Adam Jackson wrote, On 10/30/2007 10:10 AM:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 09:41 -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:
>> Adam Jackson wrote, On 10/30/2007 08:53 AM:
>>> The 'ati' driver in F8 does not support R600 chips.  You have an R600
>>> chip.  It ain't gonna work.
>> Care to clue me on how you see it is an R600?
>> No doubt it is, I just don't see how to figure that from the data I have.
>
> The X2k series are generally R600 chips.  It's easier to define support
> in terms of chip revision than marketing name because some of the
> marketing names are just lies.

understood.
>>> What does the X log look like when you use the vesa driver?
>> The Xorg.0.log (as opposed to the Xorg.0.log.ati) in my first email was a log
>> from the vesa driver, sorry I did not make that clear.
>
> I missed it, for being too short!  Weird.  I have no idea why it'd fail
> there.

It might not be... like I said, I have to power cycle after ~120 seconds
because it just seems hung, so the log could be getting truncated.
The ssh sessions into the machines also stop responding when startx is ran, so
I _expect_ either X is going into a tight infinite loop, kills the networking
stack and/or it is taking out the kernel, the only system response after
startx is that pings return.

[Ping data
Before startx:
after startx:
so clues are running out.]

The attached log is the longest one I got today in vesa mode, I have gotten
different lengths from 0Bytes up to the attached one, by running:
`sync;startx&sync&sync&sync&sleep 1;sync`

>> BTW, having SELinux on or off does not make a functional difference in xorg
>> working, but I did notice when I ran xorg with SELinux on the following
>> messages appeared in /var/log/messages:
>> setroubleshoot: #012    SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/Xorg (xdm_xserver_t)
>> "use" to /dev/tty1 (local_login_t).#012
<SNIP>
>> I have ran the `sealert -l randnum` commands if you want/need to see the output.
>
> Those should all be allowed actions, but if it still fails with selinux
> off then I'm stumped.  I can't even think of where to begin looking.

Fails even with selinux off.

> Is your /usr/bin/Xorg not suid root for some reason?
ls -l /usr/bin/Xorg
-rws--x--x 1 root root 1912496 2007-09-17 19:54 /usr/bin/Xorg

--
Todd Denniston