DVD Install of F8T1 failed on Dell Inspiron 860

Knute Johnson knute at frazmtn.com
Sun Sep 2 03:15:48 UTC 2007

>Knute Johnson wrote:
>>> Test releases are snapshots of the development tree.
>>>
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Testing
>>>
>>> Rahul
>>
>> So I'm still confused.  I went in to get the latest today and there
>> is no images directory with the boot.iso there any more.
>>
>> I'm sorry but I need a simple explanation of what I need and where to
>> get it.  Is there a CD image somewhere of todays release?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>irc, you can't boot with F8T1 kernels ?
>there is a hack now and you need an updated installation image with an
>*updated* kernel ?
>kernel build must be later then Aug 31 !
>
>you need at least:
>a boot.iso from an rawhide tree. it wasn't build *today* [x].
>and
>the complete url, where you get that iso from, *it will be ask* during
>installation.
>
>[x] happens !
>so you
>a) have to wait for a boot.iso or F8T2 (2!) is available
>or
>c) build your own boot-cd/dvd via revisor
>
>installation via boot.iso (10 MB) is a complete network installation.
>(what's about your internet speed ?)
>
>links:
>rawhide mirror:
>http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/development/
>
>network installation and other:
>http://docs.fedoraproject.org/
>
>revisor:
>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JeroenVanMeeuwen/Revisor?highlight=%28revisor%29
>

>I would recommend to wait for F8T2.
>why ?
>You could test the installation procedure as well and rawhide's
>installer is sometimes a little bit "freaky".
>
>on the other hand - maybe - you might learn a lot.
>
>it's up to you ...
>

>--
>      Ronald

Thanks for your reply Ronald.  Somebody else on this thread said that
the fix for the hang I'm getting on boot was to be in today's
rawhide.  I didn't find the boot.iso.  Will that show up later?  I
know that F8T2 is due out this week, I was just going to try it to
see if my problem was fixed.

My plan is to download the DVD and take the boot.iso to make a CD
that I can boot from.  The rest of the DVD will get put on my
webserver machine and I'll do an HTTP install from there.  At least
that's my plan.  Do you think it will work if it boots?

Thanks,

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...