Why can't we log into GUI as root any more?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Sep 11 21:02:12 UTC 2007

Arch Willingham <arch <at> tuparks.com> writes:
> I realize its not good to do on a live system, but why can't we log into the
> GUI of FC8 as root anymore?

It's funny because the default in KDM changed the other way in F7
(AllowRootLogin=false was dropped).

I think it makes no sense not to allow it. It doesn't give you any security
(because it's trivial to log in as root in text mode, edit the config file and
then go back to graphical), just annoyance if you do need a graphical root
session for whatever reason.

        Kevin Kofler