Gnome Panel needs Mono?!

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski D.Mierzejewski at icm.edu.pl
Wed Sep 19 15:02:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 09:35:29AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 10:08 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to run another set of updates in rawhide and noticed one thing
> > I think is very bad - gnome-panel pushes tomboy which in turn pushes all
> > the C# stuff in. I simply don't understand why should gnome-panel
> > require tomboy (the more it is turned off safely on archs where tomboy
> > isn't available and the more it worked without problems without it so
> > far). Until this is fixed I will either rebuild gnome-panel package
> > without the dependency on tomboy, or stay with
> > gnome-panel-2.19.92-4.fc8.
> >

> Tomboy was added to the default configuration because a lot of people
> find it very useful. Pulling it in via comps would be better, except for
> the fact that the panel currently insists on putting up an error dialog
> if a configured applet is missing. I've filed a bug about getting rid of
> that error message in certain situations. Once that is done, we'll drop
> the requires for tomboy and fast-user-switch-applet and rely on comps
> to pull it in.

So, what you're saying is that it's impossible to run a mono-free gnome-based
system without breaking dependencies? And that's just because "a lot of people
find it useful"? Stop joking, please. Error message is not a reason to make
it a dependency IMHO.

> And if somebody wrote a lighter tomboy replacement that didn't use mono,
> we'd probably use that instead. But so far, nobody has.

That doesn't mean you have to force the bloat of mono on everyone.

Regards,
R.

--
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann*at*icm.edu.pl>
Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling