Can't enable desktop effects in Fedora 9 Beta (GNOME)

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Tue Apr 1 04:02:07 UTC 2008

Rodd Clarkson spake thusly:

> Fedora (rightly) doesn't include the nvidia driver since it's licensing
> doesn't allow it.

And here I thought Debian was the most anal-retentive distro on the
planet. ;)

http://packages.debian.org/etch/nvidia-glx

>  The best place to get nvidia is at
> http://rpm.livna.org   I use livna for all me nvidia needs and compiz
> works fine (along with suspend/resume).
>
> That said, with the switch to the new Xorg version, nvidia haven't get
> around to supporting this version yet, so it's not going to work
> regardless.

Ubuntu's development distro (8.04) is using xorg 7.3.3 (as is Fedora 9)
and the nVidia drivers (which are in their non-free repo) work just fine
(as does Compiz).

Now if they could get sound to work as it does in Fedora 9 (I'm an OS
junkie)..

But I digress....

I was under the impression that Compiz was supposed to work with non-
propitiatory 3D-drivers (although I've yet to see that).

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com