compiz question: LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT, --indirect-rendering, intel graphics ....

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 17:04:32 UTC 2008

I'm running latest Rawhide on Thinkpad X60 (Intel 945) with compiz.

To get compiz working, I had been setting LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 in
my .bash_profile (yeah, I know this is a sledgehammer).  Without it, I
just get a very boring "white screen".

But I noticed that compiz has a '--indirect-rendering' option, and
that other programs (like glxgears, openuniverse, ...) seem to work
just fine with direct rendering enabled.

So I removed 'LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1' from my .bash_profile and added
'--indirect-rendering' to compiz lines in .gnome2/session.

All seems to work this way, and glxgears works significantly faster
and openuniverse finally works.

So the question: is this the right way to have this setup? I looked in
gconf settings and compiz-config for this setting, but didn't find it.
 Is there a 'compiz quirks file' somewhere?]

Thanks in advance,
   tom
--
Tom London