Grub bootable CD won't work on SATA CD ROM

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Fri Apr 4 17:26:54 UTC 2008

In the past I have used a CD-RW as a bootable grub with a grub.conf and
eltorito stage 2 as a quick rescue if for some reason couldn't boot the
system but I know all else was ok.  However, after upgrading to a system
with the CD ROM on a SATA port, discovered that even tho you could boot
the grub CD-RW, all you get is the grub> prompt.  Trying the disk in a
system with an EIDE CD-ROM drive, the CD-RW still worked fine.  So,
stuck an USB CD-ROM drive on the SATA system and, voila, works well
(after telling bios that the USB CD drive was a boot device vice the
SATA CD drive).

So, since the upstream grub folks are focused on grub 2, would the
Fedora grub maintainer look kindly on a low priority bz on this?  Given
the workaround, maybe just waiting for grub 2 is the best approach?  Or,
even better, is there a quick fix that could be applied?

(I know I could use a rescue CD, but just can't stand having something
not work that should "just work.")

Thanks, and kind regards,

Old Fart