moving a fedora 7 to rawhide

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 4 23:04:50 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> since Fedora 7 is slowly passing away, support is
> ending EOL, I decided to update it to rawhide, since
> Fedora 8 is not what I wanted to update it to.
>
> I downloaded the fedora-release-8.92 rpm and installed
> it and the fedora-notes which was a prerequisite for
> fedora-release then I disabled fedora repo and enabled
> development repo and on the journey begins.
>
> I am following the advice from
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Testing
>
> I have encountered a few issues, namely the kernel
> does not boot --??185.  I have to boot to 2.6.23.15??

As usual, a dearth of information. What hardware? What kernel? What
symptoms?

> only since the machine only boots two kernels I have
> to resort to booting it.  A few conflicts here and
> there, Is there a cleanup script that checks for fc7
> rpms and deletes them and finds corresponding fc9
> rpms?

I wouldn't expect one; if Anaconda and yum don't do it, you're pretty
much Pat Malone.
This will give some clues as to what's obsolete:

rpm -qa --last | less

As for suitable replacements, it's like beauty.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait