My f9 test results/problems

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 16:13:29 UTC 2008

Stefan Cornelius wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> a few days ago I upgraded from f8 to rawhide. I encountered the
> following problems:
>
> * While upgrading, it launched /bin/sh a couple of times. For a short
> period of time it printed error messages, because a certain lib was
> missing. I'm sorry I didn't write it down, but I think it was t1lib. I
> don't know if that's a big issue, but maybe some install scripts
> failed because the shell wouldn't launch?
>
> * Firefox has _big_ menus, buttons and distances between lines. So
> far, it's the only application I noticed with such an odd error. I
> tried a clean profile, but that did not help. I guess it's a setting
> I've set incorrectly. Any pointers?

Manually set the dpi.  Go into about:config, search for dpi, there is a css.dpi
setting that you can set to get the layout to flow in a size that looks right,
just try something between 90-150 and see what works.  You could look in
xdpyinfo for your actual dpi.

> * No sound. Sound detection works just fine (e.g. I can play sounds
> when pressing test in system-config-soundcard) but all other
> applications seem to complain: the gnome volume control says there are
> no GStreamer plugins/devices and kaffeine/amarok say xine failed to
> initialize all audio drivers.

Try: yum install gstreamer-plugins- gstreamer-totem gstreamer-tools

Is pulseaudio running in your session?  You may want to get these tools
installed to help work with PA.

yum install padevchooser pavucontrol pavumeter paman

> lspci:
> 00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
>
> dmesg | grep sound
> ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:1810: chipset global capabilities = 0x4401
> ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:749: codec_mask = 0x1
> ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:2236: hda_codec: model '6stack-dig' is
> selected for config 1043:81f6 (Asus M2N-SLI)
> ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:1073: Cannot find slave Headphone
> Playback Volume, skipped
> ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:1073: Cannot find slave Mono Playback
> Volume, skipped
> ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:1073: Cannot find slave Speaker
> Playback Volume, skipped
> ALSA sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:1073: Cannot find slave Speaker
> Playback Switch, skipped
> ALSA sound/pci/bt87x.c:931: bt87x0: Using board 1, analog, digital
> (rate 32000 Hz)

I'm not very familiar with ALSA device drivers but these look like typical
debugging output and shouldnt prevent sound playback.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29
  revoked key 0xC99B1DF3 no longer used